Sunday, December 20, 2009

Raising My Postmodern Hackles

Many posts swirling about in my head - one I shared with my Jr. High Girls the other night. A good friend through high school and college recently posted this quote to his Facebook status: "If the truth of the postmodern era is that meaning is made rather than found, then we are all at the mercy of those who would dare to be storytellers." I can let many things go, but Postmodernism gets me a-growling. I quipped in response, "isn't it great we have the awesome, ultimate, Sovereign storyteller?" As a bit of background, this individual and I did ministry together - we even co-lead a Bible Study. Imagine my sadness when, after a few comments back and forth, he wrote this:

"I think I understand where you're coming from and I would love it if it worked that way, I just don't think that it does. Or, to put it another way, I agree with you that there is one truth in the sense that there's one reality. But I disagree that there's one "right" understanding of that reality ... I disagree with the idea that there's one interpretation of Christianity because it stifles our creativity (a key part of humanity) and leaves us no room to question the beliefs we currently hold. Experimenting with different ways to describe and practice our faith gives us a chance to shed old wineskins when necessary - something the Pharisees were, by their worldview, unable to do. It was only those Pharisees who were open to a rephrasing of Judaism who were able to listen well to Jesus."

I don't think he would mind if I quoted him or criticized his statement. He knows me well enough to understanding my growling tendencies, and for all the years I have prayed for and with him, this breaks my heart. He was always wary of what he called the "quadrinity" - the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, and Bible. For awhile I understood where he was coming from, but now it's ludicrous to me. As evidenced from his misuse of the Pharisees and wineskin illustration, it is a fundamental, flawed lack of right knowledge. It is pride - a laziness to grapple with the entirety of the Word and to *believe* it. Without the anchor of Scripture, we will be tossed to and fro and seduced by the fancy words of the postmodern era and the appeal of relativity. I knew the possibility was there - now I see his ship far from land and dangerously situated amongst deadly rocks.

How do you respond to this? How do you pray for them? In response to his claims I pointed out that 1). If God is ultimate truth and reality, that certainly doesn't stifle His creativity, and 2). Jesus condemned the Pharisees not because they couldn't 're-interpret' Judaism, but because they had reinterpreted the original Law according to their imaginations and view of truth. I received no response. Funny that. Truth takes the match.

But as I was happily going about, content in my knowledge, I was convicted by my reading in 2 Kings when Ahaziah (I believe) refashions the temple according to what he wants - he moves around altars, changes entrances, and does some redecorating. How blasphemous! How horrific! No wonder God brought judgement. Then it rocked me that that is what we do - it's what my friend is doing, and it is certainly what I have done. We refashion Christianity into what we want when we refuse to submit to His word. We want to feel more comfortable - we want it to be easy and mimic the world around us. How foolish we are. How terrified I am for what God will say to this generation of believers. How excited I am for the possibility of another Josiah, or Luther, to come and tear down our false idols and paganized worship. Ultimately, may it not be a Hezekiah or Calvin, but Christ Himself riding on the clouds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!