Thursday, June 28, 2012

Long-term Perspective

Down two pounds in two weeks, which meets my goal - now only 78 more weeks and pounds to go. I am trying to take the long-term perspective, but it's challenging when you see pictures where the difference between yourself and a small beluga is difficult to ascertain. The good news is I have much more energy, I feel better, and my milk-supply is still good!

Workouts have been going well, and I have worked out at least three times a week, hard. We have a 15 lb. kettle bell and I just bought a 25 pounder and did only a 10 minute workout with some good, very fit friends this week. Kettle bells are amazing because I didn't really 'feel' the ten minutes. Sure, it was hard work, but kind of fun. Then, as the day progressed, I got more sore. Good sore, like I had just run down to the gym at UW and worked out with weights for an hour. But all in ten minutes, with every major muscle group worked! I'm so excited to keep at it and have a body that is a tool instead of a hindrance. I just started reading The Swing! by Tracy Reifkind, and it's great background and how-to's on kettle bells.

Per food, I discovered George Stella, who was on Food Network for a while and has about four cookbooks. I bought his earliest one, and have enjoyed making a few recipes, though I must say I'm not a fan of soy flour (going to replace it with almond flour once I can get some). I have made this quiche a few times, and it is FANTASTIC. The kids like it, too!

The Kitchen-Sink Crustless Quiche (my adaptation)

Ingredients:
8 eggs (organic and brown, if you can get them)
1 cup cream
1 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp salt (I prefer pink, or Himalayan salt - available at Trader Joe's)
Pinch of pepper
1 bunch spinach or chard, chopped
1/2 Kirkland Signature Ham Steak, small dice (they come in packs of three for pretty cheap - also makes a good, fast breakfast-for-dinner meal if you pan-fry it with some olive oil and dijon mustard)
1 cup chopped mushrooms (I prefer crimini)
1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar is fine. Trader Joe's has a cheddar and gruyere mix that is amazing)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Spray a deep pie plate with Pam (I use the organic olive oil spray)
4. Mix the eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Pour in pie plate.
5. Put the chopped spinach, ham,  and mushrooms on top. Then sprinkle that with cheese and use a spoon or spatula to push the toppings into the egg.
6. Bake in oven for about 40-45 minutes, or until center is done. Let cool.

Unlike other crustless quiches I have made, this one has great density and height to it. You could throw anything in here - any greens, bacon, any type of cheese, zucchini, etc.

And, in terms of healthy eating, try growing some spinach and lettuce. They are some of the easiest crops to grow - literally plant them in early spring down a shallow trench, cover, thin to a few inches between starts, and then pick off leaves as they grow. They will continue to grow throughout the season if you keep them picked down and pinch off any flowers. You can also re-seed late summer for a fall crop and grow in pots or window boxes.




No comments: