Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I Need Your Help!

One: God is so good! On Monday at PSCC I was encouraging my 101 students to read intellectually challenging books (maybe even those assigned by their professors!) instead of using them to prop up their desks. As we're discussing that, and knowing the gospel, the relationship of prayer to God's sovereignty, and if ghosts are real (amongst other things - welcome to my English class), one of the guys looked right at me and said, "Mrs. Bowers, I don't know the Gospel. What is it?" I almost laughed - after SKH's sermon on Sunday, this helps show me that God not only has some sort of sense of humor, but He also dumped the opportunity in my lap: "Here! I'm giving you a chance! Do you know the Gospel?" How amazing! Some of our Basketball players haven't grown up in the church or really had any experience with Christianity - so it was a unique opportunity.

Second: As I challenged my students to read more stimulating books other than Warren and Eldredge, they all asked: can you give us a list? Many books came to mind, but I want to develop a "Top 25" list to give them. They don't all have to be "The Death of Death" - some might be "The Master's Plan for Evangelism," but I wanted your input before I give them the list. If you had someone ask you, "what five books should I read (other than the Bible, of course), that would be fundamental to my understanding of Christianity/Theology?" This could also read: "What five books have impacted you the most in your walk?" If you have more than five, write them all down!

Thanks you smart and wonderful people!

Leila

2 comments:

Sarah Z said...

One of my favorite books is "The Power of Prayer in a Believer's Life" by Charles Spurgeon. Spurgeon does a masterful job at explaining the purpose and posture of prayer!

Tony Kevin said...

Mere Christianity - Lewis
Desiring God - Piper
God's Passion for His Glory - Piper/Edwards
What's So Amazing About Grace - Yancey
Ashamed of the Gospel - MacArthur