Friday, July 28, 2006

Humility

I've begun reading C.J. Mahaney's Humility, which has caused me to reflect back on Icthus. Life-on-life with ten to twelve Jr. High girls for almost four days can definitely refine you in new and...stretching ways. I knew going in my patience would be tested, and I'm so thankful for everyone praying for Icthus and me, because I had far more God-give patience than I ever could have manufactured on my own.

Yet I did get annoyed. I also got annoyed with my wonderful girls on our movie night - who knew you could chatter through around four hours of movie-watching? I'm amazed they have all of the Princess Diaries 1 and 2 memorized, yet can't seem to memorize a few lines in Romans. I don't know how to handle annoyance - I reason that I am annoyed with individual's sin, which is true, but am I irritated with it because it's sin, or because it's causing me to suffer (which is, ultimately, about me and prideful). So I'm excited about reading Mahaney's book.

I leave you with a few quotes from him that struck me this morning. I've often heard humility defined as "not thinking less about yourself, but thinking about yourself less." There is truth there, perhaps, but I like Mahaney's better: "Humility is honestly assessing ourselves in light of God's holiness and our sinfulness."

A few more thoughts from Edwards and Calvin: "the pleasures of humility are really the most refined, inward, and exquisite delights in the world," (Edwards) and "it is evident that man never attains to a true self-knowledge until he has previously contemplated the face of God, and come down after such contemplation to look into himself" (Calvin).

So I ask you the (convicting) question Mahaney asks: "When it comes to the values we live by, what will others say about us one day? Will they testify that humility characterized our lives?"

3 comments:

Andy B. said...

Leila, I love your honesty and your willingness to admit your faults and shortcomings. That is a sign of your humility, well at least, Christ growing you to become more humble. Thank you for the admonishment and reminder and always the amazing quotes from some very humble and well God-used men. We can learn so much from their words. Keep sharing your heart and bowing before God, and He will make you more and more His humble servant

iron girl said...

I know how ya feel. I second what your hubby said. I am no longer an annoying JH girl! But I miss you soooo much! You rockith my world!

Leila said...

Sarah, I miss you too! Although, I do recall one instance with Sour Patch Kids and a ceiling fan. Right. I like your picture - though it reminds me how grown-up you are! :)