Monday, June 19, 2006

Creative Monkeys

I've been reading Francis Schaeffer's How Should We Then Live? as part of my summer reading program (also included are Dante's Inferno and Milton's Paradise Lost - books that I have never read which, I'm pretty sure, marks me as just a pretend English person). He is an amazing writer, and this is a must-read for understanding Christianity and History (starting with Greece and moving up through the 1970s). Here is one point of his that I've been musing over (there are probably more to come):

How you use your creativity shows where your heart is! As he writes, "it is not only Christians who can paint with beauty, nor for that matter only Christians who can love or who have creative stirrings." He goes on to echo Tolkien's sentiment that, as beings created in the image of a Creator, one of humanity's distinct traits is creativity (shown in the fact that, though monkeys can throw poop, they certainly cannot sculpt a vase from it). However, the key statement I like from Schaeffer is: "A person's world view ALMOST ALWAYS (emphasis mine) shows through in his creative output."

So the question is: what does your creative output - blogs, songs, poems, writing, painting, drawing - show about your world view? Your view of God? Your love (or lack thereof) of our Savior? Your belief in His sovereignty? Your own place in the Universe? What you value or devalue?

Second, what does the creative output that you intake say about you? About the artists? You all know I love literature, and I've read many a book that isn't "Christian." It has been necessary for my profession, classes, and I've enjoyed them - and I don't regret it (except people like D.H. Lawrence - insert fist shaking and possible monkey behavior mentioned above ). Yet is it truly worthwhile? Are you really measuring song lyrics up against Scripture? Should they really be stuck in your head? I can't picture Jesus listening to Shakira or Pink or whatever - or maybe He wouldn't care. Perhaps it comes down to preference - non-essentials. I do know, however, that He is a consuming fire - that means EVERYTHING. Even what you draw. What you put on your ipod. The doodling on your sermon notes. Even what's on my bookshelf and silly little poems. What about your day-dreaming - the occupations of your imagination? What do your thoughts and creative output and input say about you?

Only a few will get it - but I just realized I'm talking about monkeys again. I need to stop. Really. It's unhealthy. I don't even like monkeys.

7 comments:

Tony Kevin said...

This blog rocks.

SKH said...

Some monkeys are very creative. :-)

SKH said...

Leila, God's girl cannot know what I'm talking about...but you and your husband should.

Leila said...

Ahh...SKH...what to say? I am very thankful that we're creative beings, and I'm thankful that God made monkeys. But I'm still going to try my best not to talk about them anymore.

Kate Alesso said...

Hmmm. That was probably one of the grosser things about monkeys that I've ever thought about monkeys. Moving on...

What a good post. It's a very good challenge to me, personally. I know I could do better in this area, focusing more on glorifying God in all my creative output, input, and percolating (or marinating, whichever you prefer...).

The Resident Writer said...

What a great and thoght-provoking post-my favorite kind. I'll definately think about my inputs more-and outputs. I was going through old photo albums today, and I realized that the best doodles I've doodled have been doodled on paper for sermon notes.

Anonymous said...

Creativity is so dampened by sin and our lack of wisdom which the begining of is to fear the Lord and knowledge of is to HATE evil. If Jesus is truth then anything that is not of Him and for the Father's glory is evil and/or sin. He cannot compromise on this and as we draw to Him we should not either. But since monkeys and apes are different you can go ape over your monkey hubby my chip off the old blockhead except by grace.